Running a marathon is winning over yourself!
Running a marathon is a substantial physical and mental challenge, and it can be quite an honour to be a part of the global marathon community. Each year, marathons are held in many different countries worldwide, each unique in its own way. Here are the top 10 marathons in India - all of which are must-dos if you want to experience some of the best runnings in the world! These races have something for everyone, from the Tata Mumbai Marathon to the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon. So whether you are a seasoned marathon runner or just starting, look at this list and find your next race!
1. Tata Mumbai MarathonPreparing for a Marathon. is challenging but worth it in the end. The Tata Mumbai Marathon is among the most iconic marathons in India, which came into existence in 2004. Since its existence, it has started a fitness revolution and has put India on the global map. Runners from all over the world come to compete in this event. So if you want to challenge yourself, make the trip to Mumbai this year and join the race!
2. Kaveri Trail MarathonThere are a lot of marathons, but the Kaveri Trail Marathon is one of the best. Because it takes runners through rolling hills and lush forests. The trail chosen for this beautiful marathon experience starts from Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, followed by the views of the meandering canal of the river Kaveri in Bengaluru, Karnataka. It was first to run in 2007, and since then, so many people have participated in it yearly. There are also several aid stations along the way, so you can refuel and rest as needed. Plus, it uses no fuel or asphalt, making it environmentally friendly. So, the Kaveri Trail Marathon is an excellent choice if you are looking for an exciting or sustainable race.
3. Airtel Delhi Half MarathonRunning a marathon is a huge undertaking, and the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon is no exception. This popular race was first established in 2005 and takes place in the vibrant and lively city of Delhi in October each year. Runners can visit some of the city's most famous landmarks, like India Gate and Humayun's Tomb. Moreover, with the beautiful course, the race offers a wide range of prize options that make it perfect for runners of all levels of experience. So if you are looking to challenge yourself with an exciting race, add the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon to your list!
4. Goa River MarathonRunning a marathon is an amazing experience, and the Goa River Marathon is one of the best in India, first organised in 2012 by the students of BITS Pilani. It is a challenging race that covers a distance of 50km (31 miles). Not only challenging, but participants can expect to experience physical challenges. Check out this marathon if you are in the area - it is worth the trip!
5. Ladakh MarathonThe Ladakh Marathon is one of the most prestigious marathons in India. Started in 2012, followed by the 2010 Ladakh floods, which unfortunately took hundreds of lives. This initiative was taken to tell the world that Ladakh is back and running. It is a difficult race that covers a total distance of 54 kilometres (33 miles). Thousands of runners compete in this event worldwide, known for its rugged terrain and challenging course. So whether you are a seasoned marathoner or a first-time runner, the Ladakh Marathon is a race you want to attend.
6. Run the RannThe Rann is not just a beautiful mountain range in India but also a land to some of the country's best marathon races. The Rann Marathon is no exception and one of the world's most iconic and celebrated marathons. Its first edition was organised in 2014 by the state tourist department at Dholavira, in the Greater Rann of Kutch and has brought up itself as one of the most challenging and harshest trails in India. Running the Rann is a unique experience, as it is known for its scenic route and challenging course conditions. Add the Rann Marathon to your list of races to run in India!
7. Satara Hill MarathonThe Satara Hill Marathon is the most popular marathon in India. It is a challenging race that covers a distance of 37 kilometres. This event has been organised annually since 1966 and is always filled with excitement and energy. Runners from all over the world come to compete in this iconic event. Whether it is your first time or you are a seasoned marathon runner, this race is a must-do in your travels to India! Let us go explore the Satara Hill Marathon!
8. Chandigarh Freedom Ultra RunThe Chandigarh Freedom Ultra Run is one of the most popular marathons in India. It covers a distance of 50 kilometres and takes around six hours to complete. This marathon is known for its scenic routes and challenging course conditions and has existed since. Participants can expect scorching temperatures during the race, so be prepared! But that is not all, the event is also attended by many spectators, making it a lively and exciting event to participate in. So if you are in the mood for a great challenge, sign up for the Chandigarh Freedom Ultra Run!
9. Munnar Half MarathonA beginner is a master once he has started the journey.
The Munnar Half Marathon is a very good option if you are in the mood for a thrill. It is a challenging race that takes runners on a scenic route through the beautiful Munnar National Park. Not to mention, it offers excellent value for money - you will get access to all the events and benefits of membership in the WAC Marathon Club, including discounts at participating hotels and restaurants.